Matthew Pelkey is a Partner with Colligan Law LLP—a boutique law firm providing legal services to entrepreneurs and cutting-edge business. Matthew’s practice relates primarily to counseling startups, entrepreneurs and businesses on entity structures, transactions, and financing. He also devotes a significant amount of his practice to land use and commercial real estate and regulatory compliance for businesses, craft beverage companies, elected officials, lobbyists, political action committees and candidates.
Matthew is an active member of the Western New York startup ecosystem where he was a co-founder and co-director of the Buffalo chapter of Startup Grind. In that role he also co-founded the monthly #LaunchHour entrepreneur twitter chat in partnership with Launch NY. He serves as a member of FIKA Buffalo and the 43North WemakeBuffalo Team.
Additionally, Matthew also sits on the advisory board of the ECIDA Venture Capital Fund (Bridge Capital Fund), a board responsible for making recommendations to the ECIDA Board of Directors on how to form and operate a ten year, $7-10MM early stage venture fund focusing on local emerging companies with high growth potential. Matthew is a co-founder and CFO of Black Squirrel Distillery, a NYS craft distillery. In that role he also co-founded the 501-c(6) trade association, WNY Craft Beverage Alliance, Inc.
Outside of the startup community, Matthew is also a strong advocate for sustainable development and has served as a member of the Smart Growth Work Group of the WNY Regional Economic Development Council and the One Region Forward Land Use & Development Working Team.
As former Chair of The Emerging Business Leaders, Matthew served on the board of directors and executive committee of the Amherst Chamber of Commerce. He also is an active member of the Chamber’s Public Policy committee. He is also a volunteer for B-Team Buffalo and the Parkside Community Association, and serves as a member of the Professional Panel for the Cancer Legal Resource Center. Matthew is also an advisory board member for WomenElect.
- J.D., cum laude, University at Buffalo Law School, 2010, finance transactions concentration
- B.A., University at Buffalo, 2007, public law concentration with independent study in fair housing
Admitted to Practice:
- State of New York District Court Western District of New York
- Bankruptcy Court Western District of New York
- Registered New York Part 36 Foreclosure Referee and Commercial Receiver
- Business & Real Estate Transactions
- Investor & Public Finance
- Community Economic Development
Memberships & Community Involvement:
- Co-Founder of Startup Grind Buffalo
- Co-Founder of Black Squirrel Distillery LLC
- Co-Founder of #LaunchHour
- Co-Founder & President of WNY Craft Beverage Alliance
- 43North WeMakeBuffalo Team
- ECIDA Venture Capital Advisory Group
- Amherst Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and Member of Public Policy Committee
- Advisory Board and Chair of Emerging Business Leaders
- Advisory Board of WomenElect
- FIKA Buffalo
- Professional Panel, Cancer Legal Resource Center
- Western New York Regional Economic Development Council Smart Growth Committee
- One Region Forward Land Use & Development Group
- Volunteer, B-Team Buffalo
- Volunteer, Parkside Community Association
- Specialties on LinkedIn: The Ethics Rule that
AllMany of You are Violating, Erie County Bar Bulletin, Vol 53 No. 2, October 2013