Matthew Pelkey is a partner with Colligan Law LLP—a law firm focused on providing legal services to entrepreneurs and cutting-edge business. Matthew’s practice relates primarily to counseling startups, entrepreneurs and businesses on entity structures, transactions, and financing. He also devotes a significant amount of his practice to commercial real estate, land use and regulatory compliance.
Matthew is an active member of the Western New York startup ecosystem. He is a correspondent and author for Upstate Venture Connect, co-founded the monthly #LaunchHour entrepreneur twitter chat in partnership with Launch NY, and serves as a member of the 43North #WemakeBuffalo Team. He also teaches Startup Law at the University at Buffalo Law School and was a co-founder and co-director of the Buffalo chapter of Startup Grind.
Until recently Matthew served on the advisory board of the ECIDA Venture Capital Fund (Bridge Capital Fund), a board responsible for making recommendations to the ECIDA Board of Directors on how to form and operate a ten year, $7-10MM early stage venture fund focusing on local emerging companies with high growth potential.
Outside of the startup community, Matthew is also a strong advocate for sustainable community development where serves on several boards and committees for local nonprofits dedicated to regeneration of Western New York.
- J.D., cum laude, University at Buffalo Law School, 2010, finance transactions concentration
- B.A., University at Buffalo, 2007, public law concentration with independent study in fair housing
Admitted to Practice:
- State of New York District Court Western District of New York
- Bankruptcy Court Western District of New York
- Registered New York Part 36 Foreclosure Referee and Commercial Receiver
- Business & Real Estate Transactions
- Investor & Public Finance
- Community Economic Development
Memberships & Community Involvement:
- Co-Founder of Startup Grind Buffalo
- Co-Founder of Black Squirrel Distillery LLC
- Co-Founder of #LaunchHour
- Co-Founder & President of WNY Craft Beverage Alliance
- 43North WeMakeBuffalo Team
- ECIDA Venture Capital Advisory Group
- Amherst Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and Member of Public Policy Committee
- Advisory Board and Chair of Emerging Business Leaders
- FIKA Buffalo
- Professional Panel, Cancer Legal Resource Center
- Western New York Regional Economic Development Council Smart Growth Committee
- One Region Forward Land Use & Development Group
- Volunteer, B-Team Buffalo
- Volunteer, Parkside Community Association
- Specialties on LinkedIn: The Ethics Rule that
AllMany of You are Violating, Erie County Bar Bulletin, Vol 53 No. 2, October 2013