Leah’s practice concentrates on Health Care Law. She is experienced in representing health providers, practices, facilities, their business associates, vendors and patients on a wide variety of contractual, regulatory, credentialing, professional conduct and operational matters at many phases of operations, including opening new businesses, expanding staff or locations, closing, selling or merging entities and collaborative ventures between specialties.
Her clients include: Inpatient and Outpatient Medical Practices, Physicians; Nurse Practitioners; Pharmacies (in-patient, infusion, outpatient retail, and compounding); Chiropractors; Dentists and Oral Surgeons; Physical Therapists; Physician Assistants; MDs and DOs in many sub-specialties including Hospital Based Practices, Anesthesiology, Psychiatry, Neurology, Primary Care, Internal Medicine and Family Practice, Endocrinology, Pulmonology, and Radiology, among others; CRNAs, RNs, LPNs; LCSW-Rs; Sleep Labs; Mobile and Fixed Address practices; DPMs, Durable Medical Equipment and Home Oxygen suppliers; Home Health Agencies, Medical Billing and Health IT providers and Individuals with complex coverage contracting matters, such as accessibility, availability and coordination of care.
Leah handles health care matters, including:
- DOH – New York State Department of Health permits, licensure, and certifications
- NYSED OP – New York State Department of Education Office of the Professions
- OMIG – New York State Office of the Medicaid Inspector General
- MFCU – New York State Attorney General Medicaid Fraud Control Unit
- State and Federal Stark and Anti-Kickback Laws
- Staff issues, Excluded Persons Lists, Due Diligence, Credentialing, Privileges and Training
- Investigations and Hearings
- Provider participation agreements, IPAs and ACOs
- New York State, HIPAA and HITECH data privacy and security compliance and breach notification
- 21st Century Cures Act, Health IT Interoperability and Information Blocking
- ONC – Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology
- HHS – US Department of Health and Human Services, and the OCR – Office of Civil Rights
- New York State Attorney General’s Bureau of Internet and Technology
- OPMC – New York State Office of Professional Medical Conduct
- MAC – Medicare Administrative Contractors, FFS – Fee For Service, and DMEPOS – Medicare Durable Medical Equipment, Orthotics, and Prosthetics matters
- Cost Saving, Risk Sharing, and MACRA and Meaningful Use
- Merit-Based Incentive Payment Systems, Advanced Alternative Payment Models
- Licensure, Certificates of Need
- Telehealth and Telemedicine
- EHR Vendor Matters
- Health Care Fraud, Abuse, False Claims Act and Whistleblowers
- Reimbursement disputes, defending providers in payer audits, appeals and other claims issues
- Quality Assurance compliance and guidelines, Quality of Care Reviews
- ALJ hearings and appeals
- Medical Staff education and training
- Internal and external audits, and independent investigations
- Accreditation reviews and preparedness
- Professional Standards and Ethics, Policies and Procedures, and Best Practices
- New York Physician Advertising and Social Media
- Medical Record Documentation and Sufficiency matters
- PPACA – Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
Leah served as an Administrative Appeals Officer for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, where she rendered thousands of administrative decisions on disputes from over 450 health plans across the country. She is fluent in a myriad of federal and state regulatory provisions governing the quality and sufficiency of medical services, policies, health care delivery facilities and systems.
Leah currently serves on the Health Law Committee of the Erie County Medical Society, is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, the Health Committee of the Erie County Bar Association, as well as a contributor to The Bulletin for Members of the Medical Society, Counties of Erie and Chautauqua. A former civil litigator at trial and appellate courts, Ms. Ranke is a frequent speaker and presenter, and a seasonal LSAT tutor, mock trial and moot court coach. She also authored the book I’ve Got You Covered: Consumer’s Guide to Healthcare and Insurance.
Leah received a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance from the Canisius College School of Business Administration, and a Juris Doctorate degree from State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law.
Past Faculty Member at two area private colleges, Leah has authored and taught college courses in: Health Management Systems; Public Health and Benefits Law; Business Law; and Legal Issues in Health Care, to Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree students majoring in Health Care Administration, Nursing and Business.
- Reference Manual: I’ve Got You Covered; A Consumer’s Guide to Health Care and Insurance. A 317-page resource guide for patients and their families covering specific medical contract rules and policies, to assist in obtaining coverage and filing successful appeals.
Honors and Professional Organizations:
- Outstanding Volunteer 2017, Erie County Medical Society
- Elected, National Order of Barristers Honor Society
- Elected, Vice-Director Law School Moot Court Board
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Bar Association of Erie County, Health Care Law Committee
- Member, Erie County Medical Society Health Law Committee
- Delegate, Cross-Border US/Canadian Exchange
Speaker / Presenter:
- Presenter, Erie County Medical Society – Medical Practitioner Audit Defense
- Presenter, Erie County Medical Society – CME Breakfast at the Bar, Mini-Law School
- Presenter, Erie County Bar Association – CLE Affordable Care Act
- Presenter, Chautauqua County Medical Society – Physician Credentialing Hearings
- Presenter, Erie County Bar Association – CLE Health Coverage Law and Appeals
- Presenter, Health Care Financial Management Association – Facility Contracts
- Presenter, Town of Amherst – HIPAA and HITECH for Patients and Providers
LSAT Tutor – Law School Admission Test Exam Student Tutor and Private Instructor
Moot Court Judge – UB Law School Moot Curt Competition Judge and Student Tutor Mock Trial Coach – Erie County Mock Trial Team Coach