Matthew Pelkey is a business attorney representing investors, high-growth startups, innovative entrepreneurs, and established public and private businesses throughout New York State. From raising capital, structuring deals, regulatory compliance, and securities offerings, to advising clients on internal investigations, conflict resolution, and crisis management. Clients choose Matthew over competitors because he understands what it is like to launch and grow a business and can navigate complex legal issues with practical business considerations.
His goal in representing clients is to develop long term relationships—often taking on the role of outside general counsel—to ensure that day-to-day legal challenges are handled efficiently and that entrepreneurs can focus on what’s important: running and growing their businesses.
Matthew is an active member of the Western New York startup ecosystem dedicating time to helping organizations such as Upstate Venture Connect, TechStars, Startup Grind, Founder’s Institute, LaunchNY, 43North, and Blackstone Launchpad. Outside of the startup community, Matthew is also a strong advocate for sustainable land use and community development where he serves on several boards and committees for local nonprofits dedicated to regeneration of Western New York.
As a faculty member at the University at Buffalo School of Law, Matthew teaches startup law and innovation through the Entrepreneurship Law Center. He is a regular lecturer to faculty, students, and founders on how to start and grow a business, and the various legal issues that can present challenges along the way.
Matthew’s dedication to business and community has resulted in being recognized as the 2019 Buffalo News Next Generation Professional; 2018 Buffalo Business First 40 Under 40; 2018-2019 Super Lawyers Rising Star; 2018 Finalist for Upstate Capital Association of New York Dealmaker of the Year Transactional Professional; Three-time finalist for Upstate Venture Connect Community Catalyst Award; 2016 Emerging Business Leader Award by the Amherst Chamber of Commerce; and the 2014 Young Professional Leadership Award by the Amherst Chamber of Commerce.
- J.D., cum laude, University at Buffalo Law School, 2010, finance transactions concentration
- B.A., University at Buffalo, 2007, political science with a public law concentration and independent study in fair housing
Admitted to Practice:
- New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division, 4th Judicial Department
- State of New York District Court Western District of New York
- United States Bankruptcy Court Western District of New York
- Registered New York Part 36 Foreclosure Referee and Commercial Receiver
Memberships & Community Involvement:
- New York State Bar Association, Business & Securities Committee
- American Bar Association
- Correspondent, Upstate Venture Connect
- Mentor, Founders Institute Buffalo
- Organizer, TechStars
- Co-Founder of Startup Grind Buffalo
- Co-Founder of Black Squirrel Distillery LLC
- Co-Founder of #LaunchHour
- Reactor, University at Buffalo Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Mentor/Lecturer, University at Buffalo Blackstone Launchpad
- Past Advisory Board, ECIDA Venture Capital Fund (Bridge Capital Fund)
- Board Member and Treasurer, Parkside Community Association
- Professional Panel, Cancer Legal Resource Center